Coinbase has a lofty mission - to increase economic freedom around the world. It’s one of the most exciting companies to work for in 2022 and beyond.
Over the past year they’ve tripled their headcount and listed on the Nasdaq. There’s no question they’re a rocketship riding the Web3 wave into the future.
What’s most interesting to us is their culture. They made headlines this week for announcing 4 weeks of deliberate recharge time for employees in 2022.
This type of forward thinking, people-first benefit is an indicator of Coinbase being a modern team. So what else makes Coinbase interesting for your next career move?
Are Coinbase Remote?
Yes and no. They maintain offices around the world but there are many current roles being offered remotely. Nearly half of their team were remote in late 2021. Here’s how their Chief People Officer explains their remote policy:
We do this in part through our remote-first stance, which enables almost all employees to choose whether to work from an office, from home, or through a hybrid approach — whatever works best for them and their families. This policy has been hugely successful, enabling us to hire top talent from around the world and earning positive reviews from our employees.
It can be difficult to manage this type of hybrid approach but Coinbase set their entire culture up for remote long before actually going remote by established cultural norms and decision-making frameworks.
In addition to their location flexibility, Coinbase have strong values that you can measure against your own preferences.
- Clear communication: direct & succinct, active listening.
- Efficient execution: bias for action, 80/20 thinking.
- Act like an owner: take responsibility for achieving the mission.
- Top talent: cast a wide net to find exceptional people for every seat.
- Championship team: We are a winning team, not a family, take rest seriously.
- Continuous learning: humble, value learning over being right.
- Customer focus: enabling them to acquire, store and use crypto.
- Repeatable innovation: know that companies must continually reinvent themselves to avoid stagnation.
- Positive energy: optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- Mission first: seek to make the workplace a refuge from division, so we can stay focused on making progress toward the mission.
Traits For Working At Coinbase
There are certain traits that will make you a better fit for finding a role at Coinbase, including:
- Positive and optimistic: There’s no room for pessimists when it comes to achieving a mission as big as Coinbase’s.
- Autodidacts: You want to continually learn and understand new tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and everything else Web3 will entail.
- Great communicators - Being able to write succinctly and humble in your communication is a big asset for a remote-first team.
- Flexible - You can pivot without getting stressed. Crypto is constantly evolving, so you need to be comfortable with changing priorities as needed.
- Doers - Owning a problem and taking responsibility for finding solutions gives you energy.
Bull Case For Working At Coinbase
- They think and act like a modern team. Going remote-first and showing an awareness of employee’s mental health are big ticks for their culture.
- As one of the fastest, first-moving on ramps to crypto, they are well placed to be one of the biggest rocket ships of the Web3 era.
- Working on a fascinating mission with the best people. There’s nothing more exciting than working on a big, bold mission with some of the smartest minds of a generation.